Saturday, July 19, 2008

Reflections

I was reading some of my friend's blogs regarding their pregnancies and when they went into labor. I started thinking about my experience and thought I would share it with you.

So it was May 29th, 2007. I was working at The Sport's Authority in the morning, and so miserable. I couldn't stand or sit without being in pain. A lot of people were telling me it was back labor and I was like, great. I am going to have back labor and that is horrible (I read about it and dreaded it!). I left work early and went to a schedueled doctor's appointment and told my doctor (who was the best and I will surely miss him when I eventually have anthor!) that I was in so much pain. I was even dialated yet though. I wasn't sure what a contraction felt like and was afriad I wouldn't know when I was having a baby. So, Dr. Susanka said for me to just go to the hospital tomorrow morning at 6:00 and tell them I was having back labor/pain. He would come in at 7:30am and break my water for me. LOL. yeah it is cheating but oh well. So, Aaron and I got ready the night before and had a good nights sleep ... kind've. I was in so much pain I really couldn't sleep. We got there around 6:10am on May 30th 2007, and the nurse was nice but told me that I wasn't dialated or anything I was worried they would send me away before my doctor got there. He arrived at 7:30 and broke my water. Theb nurse got a little mad and asked me if the doctor had asked me to come in and he'd break my water. I told her no, which was a lie, but I didn't want to get him in trouble and what was the big deal anways?
So, I was waiting and the nurse asked me if I wanted an epidural before the guy went into a C-Section. I wasn't sure ... I didn't want one too early and I wasn't having any contractions yet. They had given me the pitocin earlier and I asked how long it would take to have effect. She said, "Oh you aren't very far along so it will be a while. " Ok, so she must have been on crack because it only took 45 min and I was having contractions every 2 minutes and they were the most painful things I have ever experience. I was crying and bawling to aaron. He felt bad for me but, of course, couldn't do anything. It was about noon and the guy was still doing the C-Section so I couldn't get the drugs. Dr. Susanka came in and asked why I hadn't gotten the epidural and I said it wasn't my fault that they guy wasn't available. :(
My sis in law came and held my hand (she was there while I had the epidural because Aaron couldn't handle the big needle) and FINALLY around 2pm I got my epidural. I was having contractions for 5 hours! You'd think I would have dialated but nope, I went from nothing to 3 cm. I was horrified that I would be in labor for 30 hours. After I got the drugs I felt wonderful and watched Over the Hedge and tried to sleep. About 5pm I started feeling a lot of pressure like I had to poop and I remembered that was what they said in a book I read that you are almost ready to have a baby. I called the nurse and she checked me and said I was ready at 10 cm. I was like wow! I went from a 3 to a 10 in only 3 hours. That epidural is a amazing! The only problem was, Aaron left to get his phone charger from home (we only live 15 min away, but it was during traffic). I was scared he was going to miss the birth of his own son! I started pushing and Aaron finally arrived around 5:30. He doesn't do well with blood and all that so he was having a hard time, but held his own. I only pushed for 25 min and little Noah was born. He's so amazing and I look at him and he's so independant and on his own now... just a year ago he couldn't hold his head up. It's amazing ... what a gift.

Melissa

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Oh what fun times. :) Thanks for sharing! I loved reading about it. Can't wait to go through it all over again! :) But mine will be simple. I will probably get another c-section.